Monday, June 14, 2010

What I Learned at the Zoo Today

I went to the zoo today. And I went to the reptile house. There were two zookeepers. One was telling people about the crocodile and one was telling people about the python. The crocodile and and the python were both the same size - 15 1/2 feet long. The python was from Asia and the crocodile was from Australia. The crocodile's name is Salty and I decided the snake's name should be Slimey. Salty weighs 1500 pounds and is about 55 years old and Slimey weighs 125 pounds and about 25 years old.I also learned that tarantulas shed their skin just lizards and frogs do. The zookeeper called that dead skin a "molt" and I got to touch it. It felt really soft like a cat.I got a compass from Vacation Bible School last night and brought it with me to the zoo today. I learned that the way to work a compass is to turn the compass and wait until the red arrow is lined up with the "N." "N" is north, "W" is west, "E" is east, and "S" is south. Whichever one is at the top is the way you're going.

6 comments:

  1. Eeeeewwww! That tarantula molt was kinda gross - I'm glad that YOU got to touch it though.

    And you did a GREAT job making sure that we knew which direction we were going at the zoo. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know, I've never successfully used a compass. Could be because I never took the time to learn how to use one. Thanks for teaching me. ...and why is that man's arm and hand green? I sure hope it was just the way the light was reflecting and a camera thing. If not, I don't think I want to be a zookkeeper in charge of tarantulas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wicked awesome Conner! That is a huge spider...I wouldn't have guessed that it would feel a cat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. booboo you can be a zoo ceper in charge of turantolas because it was just the camra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, thanks for the compass lesson Conner. I think you might have to show me again next time you're here. Just ask Poppy! He tried to teach me once but he must not have been as good of a teacher as you:) Hugs and kisses! muah! we love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have never though a tarantula molt would feel like a cat either! yucky!!

    ReplyDelete