Friday, June 18, 2010

Ocean Zones, Dolphin Hands and Legs, and Dolphin-Whales

I have six scientific Magic Treehouse Research Guides. I was reading Dolphins and Sharks and I learned three things:
  1. There were three zones in the ocean - the sunlit zone, the twilight zone, and the midnight zone. They are measured by how much light there is in the water.
  2. I learned that dolphins - and this is really crazy - Dolphins used to have hands and legs and live on land! Zoologists studied dolphins and other ocean creatures. They x-rayed the dolphins' flippers and they saw bones that looked like hands. And when they x-rayed their tails they saw bones that looked kind of like legs. That's how they learned that dolphins used to live on land.
  3. Dolphins are a small type of whale with teeth.

Since I learned that, it made me feel like a zoologist!

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting! Thank You so much for the dolphin lesson. You kind of sound like a zoologist:) I have a question though...If dolphins are a small type of whale with teeth does that mean that big whales don't have teeth?
    Thanks for todays lesson. love you bunches, muah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's crazy. Imagining a dolphin walking around on land with hands and feet makes me laugh!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Conner! Didn't God make animals so neat that they can change in ways that they needed to to survive all these years!? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete