Monday, November 22, 2010

Fraction Frenzy

Today I was reading one of my mom's cookbooks. And I asked her what one of the signs was. It looked like a number and a slash and a number. She explained with a pizza.

She said if we we make it into two pieces, and we take one half, it makes a fraction that shows 1/2. The bottom number is the total number of pieces. The top number is how many you take away. So if we make 8 pieces of a pie, and take away 2, the fraction would be 2/8. And this does not work if the pieces are not all the same size.

Now I'm gonna go play fractions.

**Conner's mom sneaking on here now...here's the fractions he wrote and drew while he was reading the cookbook some more and "playing fractions." :)

3 comments:

  1. Conner, that's amazing. I am so proud of how quickly you learned about fractions, and how well you understand them. You are one smart cookie, mister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, like your mother, am amazed. I liked fractions after I understood them! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like I've missed out on a lot of life since November! How did I miss all this!
    I have attempted to teach fractions to school children many times and am very, very well aware that not everyone "gets" it that easy. Conner, you have been blessed with many gifts. I know that you will be generous with your use of them. And somehow, when you give of those God-given gifts, your 100% you multiplies until you have 110%, 150%, 200% and it doesn't stop. So now, mom, you've got percetages and decimals to teach, too. But if he "gets" fractions, he'll have no problem with those little things either....and I have a request, Conner: Can you continue your blog this summer some, too?

    ReplyDelete